On September 10th, our school had a successful fire drill. All students and staff were out of the building in under 2 minutes! Once outside teachers quickly counted students and held up signs to indicate if they had everyone or needed assistance. Students are taught if they are in the bathroom, or away from their room, they should go outside immediately and adults will help them find their class. These drills are an opportunity for students to learn the importance of exiting quietly so they can hear directions.
At the Clarke School, we practice several different types of safety drills throughout the year. Later this month, we will have an ALICE evacuation drill so students can practice walking to an off-site designated destination as a quiet group. We will then walk back to school. Information went home in backpacks explaining this procedure and requesting you fill out an unscheduled dismissal contact form. Please return the form via backpack as soon as possible.
Thank you to the Swampscott Firefighters for assisting us with today’s drill!
Curriculum Night for Parents/Guardians
Thursday, September 12th
Parents are encouraged to join us for an informational evening to meet staff members, learn about the curriculum, and find out more about your child’s daily routine. There will be two welcome sessions with Principal Shea, Counselor Cathy Kalpin, Nurse Hudson, and specialist teachers (feel free to attend either session) followed by classroom presentations by individual teachers.
Below is the schedule for presentations:
6:00-6:25pm Welcome & Introductions- all purpose room
6:30-7:00pm Visits to grade K and 1 classrooms
6:45-7:10pm- Welcome & Introductions (same as first session)- all purpose room
7:15-7:45pm- Visits to grades 2, 3, & 4 classrooms
Please keep in mind parking will be extremely limited so walking is recommended.
On Thursday afternoon, August 29th, an email was sent to the parents of kindergarten students informing them of their child’s teacher assignment. If you did not receive the email, feel free to call the school office at 781-596-8812. Principal Shea will also be available at arrival time on the first day with the class lists. Below is additional information included in the email.
- On the first day of kindergarten, September 3rd, kindergarten teachers will meet students on the courtyard at 8:10 am. They will hold signs so you can easily find them. You may walk in with the class to help your child get settled. Then at 8:35 am, parents are invited to the library for a welcome breakfast hosted by the PTO.
- Dismissal begins at 2:10 pm. Please meet your child at Door 4– Ms. Wheeler’s classroom. If anyone other than a legal guardian is picking up your child, we need written permission. Any time dismissal plans change, this should be communicated to the teacher by that morning (send a note in via backpack).
Principal Shea will host an informal ‘Meet & Greet’ for parents at 8:20 am on Thursday, 9/5/19.
This will provide an opportunity for parents to meet the new Clarke School Principal and exchange ideas.
Principal Shea will provide a tour of the building for students who will be new to the Clarke School this year. Families are welcome to attend on either of the dates below.
(Kindergarten families will have a chance to view the building on Curriculum Night, September 12th, and attend an introductory breakfast on the First Day of Kindergarten).
Friday, 8/23/19, at 1:00 pm
Monday, 8/26/19, at 3:00 pm.
Below are links for back to school supplies by grade level. Please have your student bring them in on the first day of school, if possible. We want to ensure all students have what is needed. If buying supplies creates a hardship, please feel free to contact your child’s teacher or Principal Shea for assistance. […]
- Letters announcing teacher assignments for grades 1-4 will be mailed home on August 16, 2019. Also included will be a survey inviting families to share their input and ideas with our new principal, Ms. Mary Beth Shea.
- Kindergarten families will receive a letter announcing appointment times for kindergarten screenings the week of August 6th. These 30 minute appointments will be held the first week of school (August 27th-29th).
It’s important for you to have your library card so you can check out your materials at the library. Don’t miss out!
So, how about this? Take a picture of your card on your phone or download either the CardStar or KeyRing app, and put your card on there.
The next time you come to the Swampscott Public Library, show Janina and she’ll enter your name for a drawing to win a gift certificate to Popo’s. She might also give you a little gift just for participating…
Deadline for drawing will be July 5th, 2017
Big Blue Bargains is an all-volunteer, school run thrift store. We are open every Wednesday from 9:00-11:00 and Saturday from 9:00-1:00, with each school volunteering for a week. The school rotation schedule works out to just six hours every six weeks! The income received goes directly back to your school.
Since opening in 2012, we have donated $60,000 to the schools!
What’s in it for you if you volunteer?
- Less need to fundraise at your school or write a personal check
- Minimal time commitment
- Ample time to plan ahead to volunteer
- Fifty percent off the day you volunteer (at least 2 hrs)
- Minimal tagging of items due to new pricing system
- Helping the Swampscott community with recycle and reuse efforts
- Opportunity to connect with new people
Every school has a sign up coordinator who works on getting two volunteers for each day. We realize that committing to four hours on Saturday may be difficult. Therefore, we welcome flexibility with scheduling such as two volunteers working 9:00-11:00 and two working 11:00-1:00. We also welcome teachers, administrators, relatives, and students 15 years and older to volunteer for your school.
Go to our website, bigbluebargains.org, and click on the page “Link to Volunteer Sign Ups”. Here you will find the school coordinator information and the link to sign up to volunteer.
If you have any questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2015 Coordinators: Clarke: Allison Duffy, Hadley: Val Sweeney, Stanley: Julie Phaneuf, SMS: Jen Townsend, SHS: Susan Gambal
Please email SPSwebmaster@swampscott.k12.ma.us to report inaccessible content or if you have questions or concerns about accessing information on this website.
Complaint procedures and filing formal grievances under Section 504 can be found on our website accessibility page.
100 Middlesex Ave
Swampscott, MA 01907